Not quite Spetisbury, but this train would have soon been passing through. Here we have a 2-4-0 tender locomotive number 16A at Blandford station in August 1892 with a ‘down’ goods train from Templecombe to Wimborne. A cattle wagon is coupled next to the tender. It is unlikely that this train would have stopped at Spetisbury, as there were no sidings to handle goods wagons, and any small goods traffic such as milk, watercress or parcels would probably have been carried in the guard’s compartment of passenger trains. This locomotive was originally built as number 20 for the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway in 1866 at the Vulcan Foundry. It was one of six identical engines ordered by the company, but due to financial difficulties on the S&DJR only two (numbers 19 and 20) were actually delivered. Number 20 became number 16 during 1873 and both engines were heavily rebuilt in 1881. Due to the introduction of newer locomotives, it was renumbered 16A in 1891, the A suffix denoting engines with a limited life expectancy. In 1899 it was pressed into service at the S&DJR’s locomotive works at Highbridge whilst one of the works’ boilers was being repaired. Number 16A generally worked trains from Templecombe, then Burnham-on-Sea and Highbridge before withdrawal in January 1914. Notice how clean and polished the locomotive is, and the smart appearance of the driver and fireman too – all very typical of the era.