When the brick-built station buildings were demolished in the late 1950’s, the walls were simply pushed over into the foundations. The only part left standing was the very solid rear wall of the ‘up’ platform building which holds back the field behind. During clearance of the site we shifted several tons of this demolition rubble by hand. Mostly it was bricks and roofing slate but there was also some architecturally interesting stuff such as bits of chimney pot and ornate roof edging. This all helps piece together the history of the station. We also unearthed quite a few railway artefacts and it was surprising that some quite delicate objects had survived intact despite having been buried since the late 1950’s. These artefacts have been cleaned, photographed and stored off-site for safe keeping.